Humility, Humor & Bishop-elect Gregory Parkes

Our new bishop, Bishop-elect Gregory Parkes, will be ordained and installed in our parish church (stpaulcatholic.net) Tuesday June 5, 2012 because our church can accommodate more people that our Cathedral Church.. It will also be broadcast nationally by two networks.  (Schedule of events)

Exciting? Yes! Stressful? Yes!

A sense of humor is certainly essential in maintaining a degree of sanity when anxiety and stress come around. In this case, laughter is indeed the best medicine. (6 Ways to Reduce Stress & Anxiety with Humor)  I take my vocation seriously, but if you have ever been involved in planning large events for any big organization , one must step back and at least grin at the interesting politics and so forth that take place.

Don't get me wrong. I like our new bishop, like him a lot. Trying to get our property in shape just a few days after school is out is quite a challenge, and I suppose the biggest challenge , as it is in any church, is making sure the lights, AC and sound system are operating flawlessly. Ha! The devil is in those details!  My biggest opportunity with all of this is humility or should I say, attempting to practice humility. 

We have a great staff, many many terrific volunteers, and the diocese is doing all the planning. My job is to make sure all the facilities are in tip top shape and working flawlessly, and I absolutely want the best for our new bishop.  OK.  You're right.  Stress and pressure are all in one's mind.  It's all self asserted and is only a question of mind over matter, i.e., if I don't mind, it don't matter.  No stress here.  Below is the most liberating prayer in the universe.

Litany of Humility
Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.


From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honored ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...
From the fear of being humiliated ...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val (1865-1930),
Secretary of State for Pope Saint Pius X

@FrDougHalsema

Comments

  1. Through it all , all eyes will be on the new bishop. and if they point any fingers at you..you can always point to the new Bishop.. isn't nice to have a new boss.!....and in the end..fear not He will find another big event to have at St Paul in the future... and you'll be in the same hot seat again, with your humble yes, as always a servant... Heavenly Father, Bless the Pastor and staff of St Paul, may all they do be for your honor and glory.Holy Spirit, give them a double portion of rest each night. I ask this in the Name of you precious son Jesus. Amen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment