Mary the 2nd Greatest Steward

“After Jesus, it is the Blessed Virgin Mary who by her example most perfectly teaches the meaning of discipleship and stewardship. . . She was called and gifted by God; she responded generously, creatively and prudently; she understood her divinely assigned role as ‘handmaid’ in terms of service and fidelity.” (U.S. Bishops’ pastoral letter, Stewardship: A Disciple’s Response)

So Mary sets before us a beautiful example of how to live.   As we prepare to celebrate Mary's Assumption tomorrow, we should ever more deeply ponder Mary's self giving.  Why does she give of herself so completely?  It is out of love.  It is out of loving gratitude for all God has done for her, and she proclaims that as she sings, "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord."  My Spirit rejoices in God my Savior!"

Therefore, Mary sets the example for us how to live by first showing us how to love generously and mightily.

As I ponder this, it comes to me that the Almighty has absolutely done good things for me.  What about you?  Do you feel the same?

Comments